Monday, March 25, 2013

Re-post: First day of school

Over the next few weeks I am going to work on turning my Learning Pages into Blog Posts.....I wish pages could be like their own individual little webpage with labels, but they are not.  I would like everything I have in our Pages to be documented.  So here goes the long haul!  Hope it works out the way I expect it to. 

1st Day in the 4th Grade: August 6, 2012
Bambi had an awesome 1st day today!! I think her favorite subject today was Math! She started Saxon Math 5/4 with Saxon Teacher.....She absolutely loves the independence of doing math on her own! I was over her shoulder off and on but otherwise she was handling it pretty well.
Growing with Grammar was short and sweet, to the point, and was a hit! Thank you, thank you! She also tackled Essentials in Writing 4 today, which didn't take too long for the first lesson but she does like the video aspect of it! We then started our first week of WWE3.....she isn't crazy about this one, but I feel it is an important skill to keep treading through.
Her other fav. today would have to be SCIENCE. I am using a McGraw Hill 4th grade text book, adding in supplemental books, keeping a science experiment log book, using The Happy Scientist videos, Discovery Education Streaming, and lots more.
Today in Science, we talked about animal and plant cells. We broke out the microscope, examined onion skin and leaves, and she drew the animal & plant cells. I have my girls keep an index card binder, with tabs in it, to keep track of those science and math vocabulary. She added her science vocab in there today.
 
1st Day of 7th Grade: August 6, 2012
Flower has been so excited for the past week to start back with school! She was ready to get going by 7am today. I really hate that I didn't get any pictures of her working but I'll make sure to snap some of her working on her History notebook tomorrow.
 
Today she pretty much just did Math, Analytical Grammar (which she already LOVES compared to Hake Grammar last year)(Oh, and she used the Lesson DVD's with it...that saved me from going over the lesson with her), Lightning Literature--Reading Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, MegaWords, and her Sonlight reader "The Golden Goblet."
 
Tomorrow she will add in Sonlight Core G history.....with the audio SOTW book and notebooking!
Next week, we'll add in CPO Earth Science (Mon, Wed, & sometimes Friday)....AND Essentials in Writing 7.
I like to start out slowly with adding new subjects so my kids don't get overwhelmed!
 
 


1st Day of 1st Grade: August 6, 2012
My 1st Grader wasn't as thrilled to start school again like my girls were, but he still did a great job getting back in the swing of things. We are basically reviewing this week. We reviewed some OPGTR....We will start Lesson 104 next week. We have been reading alot today with his leveled readers. We did review the long o vowel pairs today.....here is what he wrote using some of those words. Lovely picture I might add!

I'm using a mix on Veritas Press lit and Sonlight lit. Today we started with VP and read Curious George....he made a literature page in his journal book with copywork and a drawing. He also answered my numerous comprehension questions. Tomorrow he will make a craft to go along with Curious George book.
In math today, I reviewed skip counting, counting tens & ones with rods/cubes and dimes/pennies, math facts, and writing numbers.
He worked on his Handwriting with HWOT 1 printing book and did a few pages of explode the code for review.
This year for Science (2days week) we're using Studies Weekly, the library, Evan Moor Activity Books, a Science Log Book, and videos. Mainly The Happy Scientist and Discovery Education. I know he is going to pick up alot from what the girls are studying this year. So, I'm not worried a bit! I just really want Thumper to get a handle on reading and wanting to learn more! I am proud of him today! He was really patient with me as I had to leave and get the girls going with their NEW stuff quite frequently!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments to tell us how we're doing! If you have any questions, let us know! Thanks for stopping by!