Friday, March 29, 2013

Casts & Molds

I've been combining Thumper and Bambi in Science lately.....expecting more lab writing from Bambi.  It has been so much easier than doing science separately.  This activity is one of the first activities in our Earth Science course.  They really enjoyed getting their hands sticky with this one!  We were discussing fossils, how they form, and the three kinds of fossils. (imprints, molds, and casts)
We formed a flattened piece of clay thick enough that they wouldn't press through it with their shells.  The kids picked out their own shell and starting rubbing them with vaseline so it would easily come out of the mold.  I told them that we were going to make plaster of paris pancakes so we needed to mix plaster of paris with water until we had our batter consistency.  Then I let them each scoop their batter into their molds.  No fighting who was going first, either!  I was impressed!!   
 

The Molds are ready! 
Making goofy faces is a requirement in our experiments.
Filling their molds.
The casts came out nicely!  You can see a lot of detail, too! 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments to tell us how we're doing! If you have any questions, let us know! Thanks for stopping by!