Sunday, August 17, 2014

Bambi's First Week of School!

Bambi has finished her first week of  6th grade!
Like Thumper, Bambi was ready to begin this year!  She too loves her work space, though we aren't finished setting it up.  Again, for the month of August we are schooling 4 days a week....taking Friday's off to hang out with some of our friend's in public school and to help ease our way back into the groove of things!

Bambi started this week with Saxon 6/5, finishing Daily Grams before we start Analytical Grammar in January, Phonetic Zoo A, IEW Writing Middle Ages Theme Book, Mosdos Press Pearl (see our Focus On sheets I made to go along) & book basket, Health, Fiddle lessons, and Spanish.  We will add the rest in September!  You can see her yearly curriculum list on the 2014-2015 Page.

Mosdos Press, I believe, is going to be a winner for Bambi & Thumper.  Now I wish I ordered a set for Flower.....

I will have Bambi work on Mosdos as "Lit Day" for 3 days of the week.
First, we discuss the Focus of the story together, filling out her Focus On sheet as much as she can before reading.  Then, she reads the story.....this week we read the first half together going over literary devices and analytical questions together....then she read the rest herself.  She filled out her Plot Diagram, I won't have her do this portion for every story, and then we discussed.
I also had her work on a worksheet from the student workbook dealing with "Characters" in the story.

She picked out a personal reader for the week.....Black Beauty!


Workbook Page


Bambi's Workspace......Not completed but still useful!  She likes working in the classroom, undisturbed!

We are back to Phonetic Zoo this year after using Logic of English for 5th grade.  I feel like Bambi has more of a handle on her phonograms, but she still placed in PZ Level A.  We are taking this one day at a time!  She does like the set up for Phonetic Zoo much better than LOE & All About Spelling.  

For Writing this year, Bambi is going to use IEW Medieval Writing theme and Essentials in Writing Grade 6.
She likes variety....so we will work on IEW 2-3 weeks and then EIW6 1-2 weeks continuing in that pattern until we complete both.  I don't expect to finish IEW Medieval this year, but we shall try. Also, we are starting EIW at the Composition section instead of the beginning.  The beginning of EIW6 is mainly grammar and sentence structure.  I feel she has that under control so we'll be starting in the middle.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments to tell us how we're doing! If you have any questions, let us know! Thanks for stopping by!