Monday, September 16, 2013

Call of the Wild Book Guide

Bambi & I were on board with her reading ancient history readers while studying Ancients this year with SOTW....but so far, it hasn't worked out.  Most of them are just too hard for her.  She did finish The Egypt Game and seemed to enjoy that but I don't feel like she really got into it much.  She has been keeping a reading journal since the beginning of last year where she summarizes what she reads and jots down any key ideas, vocabulary, or just her opinions.
This year I've been trying so far to add in Figuratively Speaking....and we have done a couple lessons but it is just not getting done.  I wanted to incorporate it with her readers.  I have added this to the guide below.  Today we discussed personification.  I will use Figuratively Speaking with all the book guides I do....so we may touch on certain literary terms more than a couple times depending on our books.

So, we are starting fresh!  (I'm already tweaking this & that and we've only been in school for 1 month!)  We have come together and have chosen some readers that seemed pretty interesting to her......just a mix.  We haven't finished making her book list yet, but it will be a good mix and not entirely based on her history.

Our first book that she selected was The Call of the Wild by Jack London.  She looked through the original book but didn't think she could read it well.....so she pulled off the Classic Starts version of The Call of the Wild.  I feel this one is best suited for her reading style right now.  We will work harder this year on getting into more advanced books.  I feel this will naturally occur over time as she reads more & more!

I have made a Study/Activity Guide for the Call of the Wild that could be used with any version of the book.  She completed Chapter One today with it and loved it!  Thank goodness!  I'm sharing it here for you all to try it out!  Please let me know what you think!  I will be posting more tonight and throughout the week.....











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments to tell us how we're doing! If you have any questions, let us know! Thanks for stopping by!